Search engine optimization (SEO) is integral to skyrocketing website traffic, leads, and sales for small businesses and conglomerates alike. In fact, 53.3% of all website traffic comes from search engine queries. That’s why it’s crucial to master small business SEO. And that begins with knowing which SEO software and tools to have in your arsenal.
The top SEO tools in the market offer diverse features at competitive prices. Therefore, look for elements fundamental to enhancing your brand’s visibility, such as keyword research, backlink analysis, and technical SEO. Some tools like Semrush also bolster their offerings with local SEO, on-page SEO analysis, and site audits. This can make all the difference to level up your website’s online presence.
But where do you start to ensure search engines like Google regard your website favorably? This post will introduce you to the best tools to have as your SEO sidekick. And we’ll guide you through factors to consider when choosing the best SEO tools for small businesses.
Table of Contents
The Top SEO Tools to Skyrocket Your Small Business Overview
- Semrush – The Swiss army knife of SEO tools
- Google Search Console – A free starting point for small business SEO
- SiteGuru – Your professional SEO assistant
- SE Ranking – Where affordability meets impressive features
- SEO PowerSuite – The ultimate desktop app to monitor website performance
Disclaimer: We are entirely reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. This does not affect our opinion of the products linked, which is 100% impartial and unbiased.
Are SEO Tools Worth It for Small Businesses?
It’s fair to wonder if SEO tools will give your small business a leg-up. After all, chances are you’re wearing several hats as a business owner, so you must be wise with your time.
The good news is that small business SEO tools aren’t a time drain. In fact, learning the ropes of SEO for small businesses has the potential to be a game changer for your website.
SEO tools can elevate your brand’s online visibility, from finding the right target keywords and topics to scanning your website for search engine optimization issues. Still, there’s much more the best SEO software for small businesses can do for you.
7 Best Small Business SEO Software and Tools to Boost Online Visibility
Best feature-rich SEO toolkit.
Why We Recommend Semrush
In the world of digital marketing, Semrush has an unmatched reputation for being the best SEO sidekick. In fact, big brands like Tesla and Samsung utilize it. Despite posing some minor hurdles for entrepreneurs, Semrush is packed with powerful features for small business search engine optimization.
What Is Semrush?
Semrush is one of the top-tier small business SEO tools in the market. Comprising several valuable features, from backlink analysis to keyword rank tracking, you’ll want this robust tool by your side as you dive into SEO.
Apart from search engine optimization, Semrush caters to other marketing realms, including social media and Pay-Per-Click. Therefore, it can boost your marketing strategy in more than one area.
Key Semrush Features
- Keyword research: Discover keywords related to your business and industry from Semrush’s comprehensive database.
- Competitive research: Stay in the loopabout similar businesses in your niche or industry regarding backlinks, keyword rankings, and estimated site traffic.
- Link building: Monitor your brand’s backlink-building progress and discover potential backlink placements.
- On-page SEO checker: Ensure your pages are optimized for ranking in Search Engine Result Pages (SERP).
- Gap analysis: Find topics, keywords, and backlinks for content creation that flew below the radar of competing sites.
- Local SEO: Manage your business’s public information on directory sites like Google My Business and track site ranking in your location.
- Site audit: Automatically analyze your website to discover areas of improvement for enhanced SEO performance.
Semrush caters to marketers and small businesses alike with the following pricing plans:
- Pro ($129.95/month): Built for individuals and small teams. Access SEO, social, and PPC tools, including keyword research and website audits.
- Guru ($249.95/month): Get all pro features, multi-location tracking, historical data, and more. Ideal for mid-sized businesses.
- Business ($499.95/month): Made for enterprises, access all Guru features and get extended limits and free migration from third-party tools.
With an annual plan, you can unlock a generous discount of 17% of the monthly price. Not sure which subscription to choose? Take Semrush for a test run with their 7-day free trial.
What We Like About Semrush
- Feature-rich: With Semrush, you can manage all your digital marketing needs in one place.
- Free training provided: While overwhelming at first, you can quickly grasp the ins and outs of Semrush with its detailed tutorials.
- Intuitive dashboard design: The Semrush dashboard is easy to navigate thanks to its intuitive design.
What We Don’t Like About Semrush
- Costly for low-volume users: Small business owners may find the pricing plans too expensive.
- Complicated interface: As a new user, navigating Semrush’s extensive features might be challenging.
- Traffic volume inaccuracies: To an extent, website traffic calculations are inaccurate.
Best for basic SEO at no cost.
Why We Recommend Google Search Console
GSC is an undoubtedly helpful resource for small business SEO. While it lacks certain features found with other tools, GSC enables you to monitor your website’s performance and make adjustments as necessary. From discovering the keywords your website ranks for to keeping track of broken links, Google Search Console can be your secret weapon.
What Is Google Search Console?
Google Search Console is a free tool that provides a snapshot of your website’s performance in the SERP. You can analyze the keywords your website’s pages rank for to inform your marketing strategy. And troubleshoot issues that may counter your SEO efforts to improve your SERP ranking and level up your business’s online visibility.
Key Google Search Console Features
- Mobile usability report: Determine whether your website’s pages are mobile-friendly and troubleshoot errors.
- Sitemaps submission: Submit XML sitemaps to Google to request faster crawling and indexing of new site content.
- Coverage report: Monitor indexing status and detect broken links or crawl errors that may impact your website’s ranking.
- Performance reports: See how your site is performing in terms of impressions, average position in SERP, and click-through rate (CTR).
- Link checker: Analyze external links (backlinks) and internal links between pages.
- Traffic analysis: View search queries your site ranks for and how often your website appears in Google Search.
What We Like About Google Search Console
- SEO alerts: Instances of spamming, indexing issues, and crawl errors on your site can be reported to you to maintain your website’s organic search ranking.
- Search appearance enhancements: GSC provides tools to improve your website’s search appearance.
- Google tools Integrations: Sync data to GSC from other Google tools, like Google Analytics, for enhanced insights.
What We Don’t Like About Google Search Console
- Data limitations: Google Search Console may not provide a comprehensive view of long-term trends in site performance.
- Limited customization options: Unlike other top SEO tools, GSC’s dashboard can be rigid in terms of customization.
- Feature shortcomings: While you can view keywords your site ranks for, GSC lacks several powerful features included in other SEO tools.
Best for non-tech small business owners.
Why We Recommend SiteGuru
SiteGuru cuts right to the chase to enable you to handle your search engine optimization tasks. With a simple UI befitting non-technical business owners, you can do everything from competitor analysis to keyword research. Though SiteGuru could beef up its offerings, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t stand firm against market leaders like Semrush.
What Is SiteGuru?
SiteGuru is a no-frills SEO tool that acts as your professional SEO assistant. Providing a list of action items to boost your site’s visibility in search engines, it’s the perfect introduction to SEO for non-technical entrepreneurs.
Moreover, SiteGuru ensures your website is in tip-top shape by sourcing mistakes and discovering opportunities for improvement. At a low price point compared to more established players, SiteGuru is a steal for small business SEO.
Key SiteGuru Features
- SEO to-do list: View a to-do list with your website’s most pertinent SEO issues with possible solutions.
- Content optimization: Enhance page titles and headings, meta descriptions, and fix internal links.
- Keyword insights: Discover low-hanging fruit and competing pages curated from your Google Search Console data.
- Technical audit: Ensure your website is optimized regarding indexation, sitemaps, page speed, Hreflangs, structured data, and more.
SiteGuru provides the following three pricing plans fit for different needs:
- Starter ($29/month): In-house marketers can benefit from support for two websites and white-label reports with this plan.
- Medium ($49/month): Ideal for SEO consultants, this plan supports 10 websites.
- Agency ($149/month): Built for individuals with a large clientele to manage up to 50 websites, all with priority support.
All pricing plans include checks for up to 2500 website pages, and users aren’t limited to a certain threshold. On top of those perks, SiteGuru offers a 14-day trial.
Therefore, if you’re on the fence about using the tool, check it out first without investing. Once you’re ready to go all in, note that you can save 20% by opting for annual billing.
What We Like About SiteGuru
- Value for money: You get significant value at its affordable price points.
- Beginner friendly: From easy-to-understand reports to straightforward advice to improve website performance, SiteGuru keeps overwhelm at bay.
- Weekly email reports: Stay on top of your SEO with weekly email reports that include top pages, declining content, and low-hanging fruit.
- Action items: Know where to start with a to-do list and maximize your time handling SEO tasks.
- No-code installation: No tracking, tags, or pixels are needed from the get-go, so you can dive in immediately.
What We Don’t Like About SiteGuru
- Relatively standard: SiteGuru lacks the bells and whistles of other top SEO tools, like competitor analysis and keyword research.
- No real-time crawls: Data is synced weekly, so you won’t have constant SEO updates.
Best budget-friendly tool.
Why We Recommend SE Ranking
Powerful features at affordable price points is the ethos of SE Ranking. Grasping the ins and outs of the tool might take some time. But once you’re comfortable with the interface and SEO, it’ll be smooth sailing as you conduct keyword research or keep an eye on industry rivals. So, SE Ranking is the go-to for everything small business SEO without breaking the bank.
What Is SE Ranking?
SE Ranking is a feature-rich small business SEO tool with everything you’d need to manage your site’s online visibility. Likened to Semrush, SE Ranking is revered by several business owners for its keyword and competitor traffic insights, backlink monitoring, and AI-driven content optimization.
Key SE Ranking Features
- Competitive research: Discover insights about competitor marketing strategies, including traffic dynamics and target search queries.
- Keyword research: Find keywords and relevant search queries to optimize your website.
- Keyword rank tracker: Track keyword rankings based on location, search engine, and device.
- Backlink checker: Analyze your website’s backlink profile, including linking pages, anchor texts, and referring domains.
- On-page SEO checker: Learn whether web pages are well-optimized for target search queries.
SE Ranking Pricing
Whether enterprise-level or small business SEO needs, SE Ranking offers the following plans:
- Essential ($55.00/month): Best for freelancers and anyone new to SEO, this plan offers 750 daily keyword checks in 100 locations.
- Pro ($109.00/month): Small businesses, teams, and agencies can benefit from this plan’s 2000 daily keyword checks.
- Business ($239.00/month): Ideal for mid-sized agencies and businesses that require up to 5000 daily keyword checks.
Note that all plans are customizable. This means you can adjust requirements for rank tracking, SERP analysis, content marketing, and more for an additional charge.
Moreover, with an annual plan, you get free data transfer from your previous platform and 20% off.
What We Like About SE Ranking
- Quick to settle in: Setting up your account and getting started is relatively simple.
- Flexible plans: Customize the pro and business plans based on your keyword needs.
- Comprehensive features at low prices: Get competitor analysis and keyword research from $55 monthly.
What We Don’t Like About SE Ranking
- Takes time to grasp fully: Getting the hang of all the features might require significant time and effort.
- In-depth information limited: SE Ranking data might not be as comprehensive as Semrush or Ahrefs.
Best for offline SEO management.
Why We Recommend SEO PowerSuite
This powerful software is the best SEO software for small businesses and solopreneurs. While the thought of handling SEO tasks from a desktop app may seem outdated, SEO PowerSuite is worth the bet. Several SEO tasks can be done, including rank tracking and keyword research. Plus, its WebSite Auditor can be a game changer for your website’s SERP ranking.
What Is SEO PowerSuite?
SEO PowerSuite is the ultimate small business SEO software. It contains tools covering every SEO domain, from keywords and backlinks to local SEO and social media.
Think of it as your search engine optimization companion readily-available on your desktop. While it may not have the charm and appeal of industry giants like Ahrefs, it’s perfectly suitable for basic SEO tasks.
Key SEO PowerSuite Features
- Ranking Tracker: Analyze SERP rankings in the top 10 or 50 search results and global and local keyword rankings.
- Keyword research: Tap into 24 keyword research tools and seven research methods encompassing every major search engine.
- Backlink analysis: Review your website’s link history, referring domain quality, and backlink distribution by top-level domains.
- Backlink building: Discover potential backlinks for your website to aid your link-building campaign.
- Technical SEO: Perform a site audit to discover potential areas of improvement.
- On-page SEO checker: Conduct a thorough SEO analysis from internal linking to meta tags.
- Competitor analysis: Discover competitor search traffic, users, and conversions.
SEO PowerSuite Pricing
SEO PowerSuite has a free version that gives you limited access to its four tools: Rank Tracker, SEO SpyGlass, LinkAssistant, and WebSite Auditor. However, there are two other plans solely offered with an annual subscription:
- Professional ($299/year): Access all four tools with scheduled SEO tasks and unlimited backlink tracking, link auditing, prospecting, and outreach.
- Enterprise ($499/year): This plan grants access to all four tools with up to 40 competitor rank tracking and backlink profile comparison on up to 11 sites.
Furthermore, you can choose to subscribe for two years and receive a 20% discount. While subscribing to the software for three years unlocks 35% off.
If you anticipate having little use for some features, SEO PowerSuite offers standalone products. Therefore, you can purchase one tool instead of the entire pack.
What We Like About SEO PowerSuite
- WebSite Auditor: Allows for consistent monitoring and optimization of website performance.
- Standalone products available: Instead of going all-in for the complete toolkit, you can purchase specific tools.
- Free version: Access all tools within the software without a charge for as long as necessary.
What We Don’t Like About SEO PowerSuite
- Outdated UI: Compared to other top SEO tools hosted online, SEO PowerSuite’s user interface could use a refresh.
- Offline use learning curve: Switching from an online to an offline SEO tool can take some getting used to.
- No syncing between apps: You can’t access your data from other devices, even with an internet connection.
- No monthly plans: If you’re looking to test the waters, you’re out of luck, as SEO PowerSuite only has annual plans.
Best all-in-one SEO powerhouse for ten search engines.
Why We Recommend Ahrefs
Small business search engine optimization tools like Ahrefs are responsible for boosting the performance of several websites. This all-in-one SEO solution knocks the ball out of the park everywhere that matters, from keyword research to backlink analysis. Still, learning the ropes can be challenging.
What Is Ahrefs?
Ahrefs is a one-stop small business SEO tool housing everything you need to optimize your website for search engines. Besides being feature-rich, it boasts an intuitive interface and a reputation for excellence amongst SEO professionals.
Key Ahrefs Features
- Organic traffic research: Discover keywords your competitors rank for and pages that deliver the most search engine traffic.
- Keyword ideas: Get inspired with keyword ideas from a database of over 7 billion keywords.
- Backlink checker: View external link connections of your competitors’ websites and analyze backlink profiles.
- Rank tracker: Monitor your search engine rankings across 170 countries.
- Keyword difficulty scoring: Analyze how difficult it’ll be to rank for specific keywords and discover low-hanging fruit.
- Duplicate content checker: Weed out duplicate content that could harm your SEO ranking.
- Technical and on-page SEO audits: Run SEO audits to ensure your website is up to scratch for search engines.
- Paid traffic research: Learn whether your competitors conduct paid search advertising.
- Domain authority checker: Analyze your website’s authority based on its backlink profile.
- SERP overview & positions history: Uncover SEO metrics and ranking history for top-ranking pages.
Ahrefs offers the following four pricing plans:
- Lite ($99/month): Track 750 keywords and curate five keyword lists.
- Standard ($199/month): Keep an eye on 2,000 keywords and maintain 50 keyword lists.
- Advanced ($399/month): Save up to 100 keyword lists and monitor up to 5,000 keywords.
- Enterprise ($999/month): Track up to 10,000 keywords and maintain 250 keyword lists.
Although Ahrefs doesn’t offer a free trial or discounts, you can get two months free by subscribing to an annual plan.
What We Like About Ahrefs
- All-in-one solution: Offers comprehensive features and data on keywords, links, and content.
- Powerful trackers: Provides invaluable insights on your website and your competitor’s top-performing backlinks and content.
- Considers ten search engines: Besides providing data for Google, you can access insights for YouTube and Amazon.
What We Don’t Like About Ahrefs
- Steep learning curve: It may take some time to grasp this top SEO tool.
- No free trial: You can’t test the tool without committing to a paid plan.
- High price points: Compared to other tools that offer the same value, small businesses may find Ahrefs too costly.
Best for absolute beginners.
Why We Recommend Ubersuggest
Ubersuggest has grown into a powerful ally for small business search engine optimization. Expect standard features like keyword research and backlink analysis, all delivered on a user-friendly platform. Although there are some areas where Ubersuggest drops the ball, it rivals tools like SE Ranking.
What Is Ubersuggest?
Ubersuggest is the brainchild of renowned digital marketing expert Neil Patel. Boasting a comprehensive suite of features, Ubersuggest is one of the best SEO tools for small business owners. You can handle everything from tracking your daily SERP ranking to conducting a site audit.
Key Ubersuggest Features
- Backlink data: Discover what content your competitors link to and improve your backlink profile.
- Keyword suggestions: Find keywords based on search engine queries and your competitors.
- Competitor research: Uncover which of your competitor’s pages rank for popular keywords and where they’re commonly shared on social media.
- Content ideas: Boost your content strategy with a curated list of top-performing content for any keyword.
- Domain Overview: Get insights into the strategies that work for your competitors.
Ubersuggest offers three free keyword searches per day. However, to take full advantage of this small business search engine optimization tool, you can subscribe to one of the three following plans:
- Individual ($29/month): Connect one website and get 150 daily searches.
- Business ($49/month): Link 2 to 7 websites and unlock 300 daily searches.
- Enterprise/agency ($99/month): Add up to 15 websites and get 900 daily searches.
The best part of Ubersuggest’s pricing is its lifetime subscription. You read right. Instead of paying month to month, you can have complete access—with updates—for life.Moreover, you can beef up your plans by purchasing an add-on for $5 per month.
Ubersuggest also offers a 7-day trial. However, the features are limited.
What We Like About Ubersuggest
- Great onboarding tutorial: Understand the ins and outs of the tool quickly.
- Ease of use: Beginners can dive right in without encountering a complicated UI.
- Biweekly coaching: Boost your SEO strategy with one-on-one coaching calls and Q&A sessions with Neil Patel and the Ubersuggest team.
- Affordable pricing: Relatively cheaper than competing SEO tools.
What We Don’t Like About Ubersuggest
- Short free trial: You can do little in 7 days for search engine optimization.
- Limited insights: Lacks in-depth insights into other tools like Semrush.
Choosing the Right Small Business SEO Software or Tool
The market of small business SEO software and tools is overly saturated. Some tools give you your money’s worth, while others can be more of a headache than they’re worth. That’s why choosing an SEO tool for your business shouldn’t be a random decision.
When choosing the best SEO software for small businesses, consider the following factors.
Your SEO Goals
Do you want to understand how your competitors drive traffic to their websites? Or do you want to figure out why your website appears to not exist in the SERP? Defining your SEO goals will point you toward the right tool that offers precisely what you need.
SEO tools and software pricing plans range from $29/month to $999/month. While your SEO needs will determine a suitable price point, your budget also plays a significant role. After all, you don’t want to spend a considerable chunk of your marketing budget on a tool whose features you won’t fully utilize.
Your SEO Knowledge
How familiar are you with SEO for small businesses? If you’re new to the scene, perhaps a tool that offers in-depth tutorials might be your best bet. However, if you’ve dipped your toes in these waters before, a tool you can dive right into might be better. Still, support and guidance will be a consistent need, so even if you feel proficient in SEO, it’s worth keeping an eye out for resources.
The Bottom Line
Mastering SEO might not happen overnight, but investing in the right tool can get you further ahead. Therefore, when choosing between the top SEO tools, consider your SEO needs and knowledge of the topic. Assessing your budget is also vital, as the small business SEO tools and software at your disposal come at different price points.