Direct mail marketing is widely recognized as the most effective and profitable way of communicating directly with your customers and potential clients. But why is direct mail marketing so promising? Let’s look at the advantages of direct mail marketing.
The potential of this type of advertising is based on several factors, which have been recognized by many businesses as the big advantages of direct mail marketing. For the definition of direct mail marketing, look here. In the following, the most important advantages of direct mail marketing are summarized:
The Advantages of Direct Mail Marketing
- With other forms of advertising, you are never sure who actually gets your message. Direct mail marketing thus enables you to control precisely
- who receives your message
- what exactly is in the message
- when it is delivered
- how many people you reach with the message.
- These advantages of direct mail marketing may already be reason enough to choose this type of advertising, but there is much more:
- With direct mail marketing, you can protect against overwhelming response. If you run an advertisement, you never know exactly whether you will get 10 responses or 100,000. For a small business, a powerful response to an ad, especially if unexpected, can be disastrous. The company is simply unable to handle the overwhelming response. Why is this a problem? The company will try to answer as many responses as possible with the little available resources. But a poor reaction to a prospect’s response is very likely to damage your relationship even before it has begun. Thus, one of the most important advantages of direct mail marketing is that you can control how many responses you will get to handle them properly. With direct mail, you can start out with a small-size mailing to study the response and make sure you can handle it.
- Costs are rather low. Or, more accurately, you can decide precisely how much it costs. You can create a campaign to fit large or small budgets.
- Another one of the advantages of direct mail marketing is its speed. Direct mail marketing is fast. With a modest campaign to a known target audience, you can acquire a mailing list, develop mailing materials (including a direct-mail letter, fliers and reply card), launch a mailing and start to receive results in just a few months. This is much faster than the typical advertising campaign!
- With direct mail marketing, you can test different appeals, called “offers”, to find the most potent message. How? Just make some varied offers for different portions of your mailing list, and you will see which offer pulls best. As you try different offers and letters, you will find increasingly better ones. Always choose the better one, and then try to even beat that in your next mailing. Eventually, you will get better and better response rates!
- The advantages of direct mail marketing finally include that you will never run out of prospects. Use your creativity to identify new niche direct-mail markets for your offerings, whether retail or business-to-business. Also, your list broker or mailing consultant may be able to suggest potential target markets worth trying.
As you see, the advantages of direct mail marketing make it a very promising type of advertising. Whether all advantages of direct mail marketing apply to your business or not – direct mail marketing is and will remain one of the most effective and profitable ways to reach your customers and prospects.